Plan for PhD Training and Guidance
The plan for the training and guidance of PhD students is based on Article 6.8 of the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch universities (2007-2010).
- CAO Article 6.8 Doctoral candidate training and guidance plan
The employer shall see to it, following consultation with the doctoral candidate and in accordance with a customised plan for training and guidance set up for the doctoral assistant by the appointed mentor of supervisor, that this plan is forwarded to the doctoral assistant within 3 months of inception of the employment contract.
- Towards the end of the first year the training and guidance plan is worked out in further detail for the remaining term of the employment contract and may be adjusted annually thereafter, if so required.
- The training and guidance plan shall in any case establish:
- what knowledge and skills must be acquired and how this should be done;
- who shall act as mentor for the doctoral candidate, i.e. under whose supervision the doctoral candidate shall work, and who shall be the tutor (‘promotor’). If the mentor is not the tutor, it is also stipulated that the doctoral candidate shall discuss the doctoral research with the tutor at the beginning of the research project and at moments which are decisive for the progress of the research, at least once a year.
- The extent, in minimum per month, of personal guidance from the appointed mentor to which the doctoral candidate is entitled.
A copy of the plan is sent to Ina Putter (email@example.com). She will watch the budget of the doctoral candidate.
You can download the plan here.