The China Scholarship Council offers Chinese PhD students and postdoctoral fellows the opportunity to apply for a scholarship to follow high quality research training abroad. The School of Business and Economics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers its expertise, supervision and infrastructure to accommodate candidates.
Types of Scholarships offered by CSC
- Full PhD students: selected Chinese students can enroll in doctoral (PhD) programmes of Vrije Universiteit provided that they complete the programme in no more than 48 months. If the selected Chinese students successfully complete the requirements of the programme and defend their dissertation, they will be conferred a PhD degree by Vrije Universiteit.
- Sandwich/joint PhD students: selected Chinese students can complete part of their doctorate, ranging from 6 to 24 months at Vrije Universiteit. If the student’s home university and Vrije Universiteit agree, this can be constructed as a joint doctorate but this is not mandatory.
- Postdoctoral fellows: selected Chinese postdoctoral fellows can be hosted in a postdoctoral programme for 3 to 12 months at Vrije Universiteit.
- Vrije Universiteit covers accepted candidates’ registration fees, tuition fees, research fees, supervision fees, and visa fees
- CSC provides a living allowance of € 1200 per month (including health insurance) and international airfare
- You are eligible for the SBE PhD Fund Research Scholarship of up to to €2,000 (for conferences, research visits and /or other research costs).
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) is an internationally renowned research university. We are ranked 101-150 on the Shanghai University Ranking and offer a supportive community approach to learning. Our campus is a meeting point for free academic endeavour. Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is a truly international university, with a highly diverse population. At Vrije Universiteit, the Chinese community is the second largest and delivers important contributions to the university’s education and research programmes. Furthermore, the Chinese community is involved in social activities, such as celebrating Chinese New year together with the university. We are located in lively and multicultural Amsterdam, the city with the largest concentration of students in the Netherlands and where English is the second language. Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands and the largest city of the country. Amsterdam is a very safe city with many interesting museums, bars and good restaurants. The University will help the PhD candidates to find relatively cheap housing.
Hosted by the School of Business and Economics (SBE)
SBE offers a great institutional research setting and has ample experience in hosting external international visitors. The School hosts a large number of researchers belonging to the international top of their field. In terms of Research Impact (citations) the School ranks highest amongst its peers in the Times Higher Education ranking and belongs to the top 50 research schools in economics and business ranked by THE worldwide in terms of research impact. Information on our research activities is provided by the Research Portal. High level course work is available at Tinbergen Institute and ABRI, as well as participation opportunities in all international research seminars. SBE seeks to combine quality education with excellent research and is the largest faculty of VU Amsterdam. It has a modern, up-to-date ICT infrastructure and variety of licensed databases for research and accommodates approximately 4000 students, 1450 postgraduate students and 460 employees.
What the School of Business and Economics offers to CSC PhD candidates?
Our mission is to attract highly motivated, talented students and junior researchers to further cultivate their talents through extensive supervision, by welcoming them in an international, open and inspiring environment where knowledge exchange and research cooperation are highly stimulated, and by providing a safe, informal and friendly atmosphere. Your supervisor will help you draw up a training and guidance plan at the start of the project, and guide you in planning your research dissemination activities and seminars at international conferences and at other academic institutions.
Being a member of SBE gives you the opportunity to:
- receive high level course work with leading international scholars at the Tinbergen Institute and/or the Amsterdam Business Research Institute. They also host seminars with speakers from leading US, European and Asian universities. Having access to this network will provide an important asset for your future research career. Our PhD programmes are entirely taught in English.
- to be involved in research and social activities, like seminars, workshops, social gatherings.
- to be introduced in numerous networks, in and outside the Netherlands.
- be eligible for the SBE PhD Research Scholarship of up to €2,000 (for conferences, research visits and /or other research costs).
Please have look at the requirements to apply.