On Friday the 2nd of November, we are hosting a masterclass on Digital Platforms & Ecosystems. You will learn what your organization can do with platform ecosystems: How to create platform value? What strategies work? How can you grow and govern a platform?
Given the overall trend towards digitalization of products and services, increasingly organizations find themselves moving towards digital platforms and develop ecosystems around such platforms. Digital platforms are emerging in transport (Uber, BlaBlaCar), media (Blendle, YouTube), finance (open banking), hospitality (AirBnB, Couchsurfing), software and apps (Android), entertainment, game consoles, smart homes, and many other sectors and industries. Such platforms facilitate new forms of interaction between different groups of users, and offer opportunities for new forms of value creation as well as potential to disrupt traditional industries.
Regular Price: € 395,00 including lunch, drinks, and materials.
Early bird: Sign up before August 31st for € 295,00
Platforms Ecosystem Management Model
But what exactly are digital platforms and platform ecosystems? How do you know which strategy is most appropriate for your organization? And how can you effectively manage and cultivate them? In this masterclass we will address these and related questions to help you recognize the challenges and opportunities of platform ecosystems.
During this masterclass we will talk about digital platforms & ecosystems by addressing the four quadrants of the Platform Management Model: (1) Value, (2) Strategy, (3) Architecture, and (4) Governance. This model was developed by drawing on the wide range of scientific research done in the field of platforms. We will discuss the four quadrants by building on examples from our research at various organizations and industries to discuss some of the fundamental challenges and opportunities of platform ecosystems.
This masterclass will be offered by researchers who studied platforms in various contexts. For example, Fleur Deken will talk about how Philips launched and managed its ecosystem surrounding their Philips Hue lightbulbs. And Hakan Ozalp will talk about what we can learn from the complexities from the US Video Game platform industry.
Though we all know some of the success stories and news articles, this masterclass will give you a thorough understanding of what platform ecosystems really entail, the challenges and opportunities for your organization, and several strategies and growth tactics on how to make platforms work for your business.
What You’ll Learn
- The latest scientific knowledge on the emergence and development of digital platforms and ecosystems
- Different types of platform ecosystems, their benefits, and potential for disruption
- The four fundamental elements of digital platforms that need to be aligned: platform value, architecture, strategy, and governance
- Hands-on management, governance, and growth tactics to cultivate platform ecosystems
- Insights, ideas, and inspiration by learning from cases from different industries.
Hans Berends – Professor of Organization & Innovation. His research focuses on the organizing of digital innovation and on new forms of collaboration enabled by digital platforms. Besides teaching university students, Hans regularly contributes to various Executive Education programs in which he discusses strategies for (digital) innovation, platforms, and ecosystems.
Fleur Deken – Assistant Professor of Organizing for Innovation Processes. Her research focuses on collaborative (digital) innovation such as crossover collaborations between organizations from different sectors and the role of design thinking in digital innovation.
Hakan Ozalp – Assistant Professor of Strategy & Innovation. His research focuses on platform-based ecosystems as he explores the impact of industrial and technological change (a) on the platform ecosystem, (b) on the firm, and (c) the antecedents of these changes.
This masterclass is particularly relevant for professionals who want to be able to identify both challenges and opportunities, and want to prepare their organization for the future. Examples:
- Innovation managers/consultant
- Business developers
- Product managers
- Project managers
- R&D managers
- Solution architects
Participants for our previous Masterclasses have come from various organizations such as ABN AMRO, Accenture, Alliander, Belastingdienst, Branddoctors, CGI Nederland, DNB, FedEx International, and Rabobank.
- 12:30 – 13:00 – Walk-in with lunch
- 13:00 – 13:30 – Introduction to Digital Platforms & Platform Ecosystems
- 13:30 – 14:00 – How to Organize for Platform Value
- 14:00 – 14:30 – Exercise 1 – Working on your own platform (part 1): Defining a Multi-sided Platform and Value Flows
- 14:30 – 15:00 – Thinking about Platform Architectures and Open Platforms
- 15:00 – 15:30 – Exercise 2 – Strategic Choices on Openness
- 15:30 – 16:00 – Break
- 16:00 – 16:30 – Growing & Governing Platform Ecosystems
- 16:30 – 17:00 – Exercise 3: Working on your own platform (part 2): Architecture, Growth Strategies, and Governance Choices
- 17:00 – 17:30 – Discussion / Wrap-up & Networking Drinks
Date & Pricing
The masterclass will be held on Friday November 2nd.
Price: € 395,00 including lunch, drinks, and materials. Early bird: Sign up before August 31st for € 295,00